Saturday, January 26, 2013

Heartbeat, Drumbeat, Song

Shy and uncertain, I stand
Staring around a room full of
Expensive hand-crafted cozy rugs
That look as if each could be a flying carpet

Earthy brown and tan colors combine
With bright reds of passion in
Intricate detailed intertwining patterns
On these masterpieces fit for Sultans.

I peruse the back courtyard area,
Admiring the raging flaming fire
That anoints the mild night air
With a smoky aroma reminiscent of Home.

People begin to arrive and congregate,
And suddenly I'm not such a stranger
As I chat, laugh, mingle and puff-puff-pass
With all these beautiful souls I've been missing

By the time I come back to the fromt
Thirty energetic people are at one with
The beat and the resounding cacophany
Is so intrinsically beautiful it will never be forgotten.

I sit outside the circle, swaying with the
Rooms echoing heartbeat, picking apart layers
And as I let my ears and mind go I begin to Think I hear something other than drums.

Its like a chant, barely audible, flowing
Like a river beneath all the layers
I question in wonderment the sound I hear:
A womans voice crooning universal sounds.

My eyes hungrily gaze at the mouths of all,
But I can't place it; am I really just
Hallucinating it? But no, I hear it again,
Close my eyes and savor the precious moment.

I feel the energy of the music as it
Wraps around all involved, uplifting,
Heartening, strengthening all our spirits
For the next lunar month and feel blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment